Important Number Transfer Information
Thank you for your request to transfer your existing telephone number into Vonage. Vonage is able to transfer most numbers. There are some numbers that we are not able to transfer. If we are not able to transfer your number we will inform you of this via e-mail.
Please be aware that before submitting your number transfer details below, your Vonage Business phones must be plugged in, and remain plugged in, and you should have successfully made at least one outbound call and have received a call. Without this we will not be able to accept your request to transfer your number.
The actions you perform to transfer your phone number depends on how your internet service is supplied. Regardless, prior to the transfer, do not cancel your existing service because you will lose the phone number that you want to transfer.
Once you initiate the request, the number transfer process takes a minimum of 20 business days and can be significantly longer.
Internet service information
|Internet connection type
||Loss of Broadband on number transfer
||BT, TalkTalk, Sky
|Fibre to the cabinet FTTC
|Fibre to the premises FTTP
||Rural Broadband Gigaclear
You will lose your broadband if you have ADSL or FTTC broadband.
You will not lose your broadband connection if you have cable, FTTP or wireless broadband.
When a phone number transfer is complete it is common practice for the losing provider to disconnect the phone line. You will experience some disruption to your telephone service on the day that phone number is received by Vonage.
Your internet service is supplied over a phone line ADSL or FTTC
Primary phone line or only Line with ADSL or FTTC Broadband
To maintain both your broadband and Vonage service, you must keep a traditional telephone landline. This is because the industry treats a request to transfer a phone number as request to cancel both the landline and broadband service. To avoid an interruption in your services, complete the following before you request to transfer the number to Vonage:
- Request that your landline supplier install another telephone landline.
- Contact your broadband provider and ask them to the move your internet connection to the newly installed telephone landline.
- Only when the new line has been installed and your broadband moved to the new line submit a number transfer request.
Secondary Line Without ADSL or FTTC Broadband
You can transfer your number to Vonage without taking any other action. When the transfer is complete, the line attached to the transferred number will be cancelled.
Secondary Line with ADSL or FTTC Broadband
Once the port to Vonage is complete, the secondary landline will be cancelled with the current supplier.
- If you want to cancel the broadband connection, contact your broadband supplier.
- If you want to keep the broadband connection, contact your broadband supplier to move your internet connection to another phone line or request that your landline supplier install another telephone line and then contact your broadband supplier to move your internet connection to the newly installed landline.
Other important factors to be aware of include:
- The number transfer process takes a minimum of 20 business days from the time you confirm your transfer request and can take significantly longer
- The number transfer process may be delayed by the following factors
- Contractual obligations.
- Features and associated services such as DSL, Transfer Freeze, Distinctive Ring, Ring Master or CENTREX-related features.
- Pending changes associated with the number being transferred.